Friday, June 27, 2014

The Bike That Re-Ignited a Flame



Frame: 2012 Scott Aspect 40
Fork: SR Suntour XCM 100mm (stock- to be upgraded this winter)
Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar - cut to 690mm
Grips: Sensus Swayze pink
Stem: Raceface Ride
Saddle: Scott Aspect
Crank: Raceface Chester
Pedals: Straitline AMP
BB: Raceface DH
Shifter: Shimano 8-SP
Derailleur: Shimano Acera 8-SP
Brakes: Shimano
Brake levers: Avid
Chainring: Raceface Narrow/wide 32T (Single front ring conversion, 1x8 total)
Tires: Kenda Excavator 26x2.10 f/r
Wheelset: stock Araya w/ Scott ft hub/ Shimano rr


    This is the bike that allowed me to re-discover my love for everything bikes. This is also my "Weekend-warrior, Ridden-every-day, Beat-the-tar-out-of-it, Never-skips-a-beat" bike. I ride North SeaTac's finest singletrack twice a week and have ridden RedHook's Haul Ash road bike ride twice on this trusty steed. Judging by the spec list, I've added quite a few bits here and there since buying it new in 2012. I find it easier to upgrade as I go, rather than wait 20 years and potentially rob Fort Knox in order to have a bike I'm happy with. The common misconception in many hobbies including cycling, is that the more you spend, the better the product. Mostly this is true, but who has $3,500+ just laying around to throw down on a bicycle? I didn't. I also didn't just buy the first bike I saw. The internet is a powerful way to research, and with a "budget" bike like this, I wanted to be certain I was getting the best bike for my hard-earned dollars. Boy did I ever.

    This bike has never disappointed, not once. It is perfectly suited for the riding I'm able to access weekly, as well as serve as a temporary (fixie-build coming) road-faring cycle for two 40-mile epics.
Being from a BMX background, this was my first foray into derailleurs and suspension, so needless to say I needed a bike that would be kind to my amateur mechanical skill/antics. Again, this bike shines. No hydraulic this, or clutch that. All mechanical, user-friendly goodness. For me, at this moment, this is all the bike I need. Might that change down the road? Possibly, but in short, buy what you need to start, don't be afraid to upgrade/explore the workings of your piece. The knowledge gained will be invaluable. Fancy or not, the ride is still, just as bitchin'.

Enjoy the Ride.
-JRoy

No comments:

Post a Comment